Fitting Our Pre-Set Narrative

The New Yorker allows me to sample a worldview without the spiritual nutritional deficits that would come from overindulging. This is particularly the case with the author profile, allowing me to learn from the perspective and craftsmanship of authors I am unlikely to read in part because their attitude on sexual matters differs so markedly from the Bible's. Disconcertingly, though, I often find similar biases behind the thinking of the very secular authors, and that of myself and my fellow Christians. Radically different symptoms can manifest the same disease of sin and ego.

Thus I encountered novelist Otessa Moshfegh in the most recent issue. Her perspective on how she mines real-life experience for writing material intrigued me. "I just want to see the edge of the building, and then I want to go and build it myself," she explains by way of metaphor. This professional detachment extends to how she builds characters from encounters with real people. "That's how I feel when I meet somebody: I just want this much." As a writer, she can flesh out the rest to suit her purposes.

I find nonprofessionals engage in the same narrative building, and with less noble ends. Presented with a new ensemble of flesh and blood characters in my life, I quickly began casting. If I was enthusiastic about the first one or two protagonists, narrative tension required that I find a foil or two to get in their way. Somebody needed to impede progress if the plot in my life was going to keep my interest, or anyone else's. Therefore, I found myself, like Moshfegh but without the paycheck and the honesty to label my efforts as fiction, seeking a villain. Just as Blair on The Facts of Life turned from Texas naïveté in her original concept to sneering industrial royalty based on Lisa Whelchel's delivery of one line, so I have been guilty of using such scant "evidence" to typecast those around me.

I'm not alone. Nathaniel in John 1:46 set a ceiling on Jesus' potential because of his Nazareth origins. In turn, the Pharisees dismissed Jesus' prophetic credentials in Luke 7:39 because He apparently didn't adequately factor in what "sort of" woman offered him worship. To be human in their reckoning is to learn to sort other people quickly and with finality. Noble to left. Ignoble to the right. The line is as solid as its origins are sketchy. Jesus, of course, as Ever Creator figures differently. Our origins or our position at a point in time matter less.  His Great Sort will be at the end of days with perfect justice. Until then, Christ makes the unlikeliest hearts new and forces a rewriting of our hasty narratives.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Hobby Or A Habit?

Enthusiasm, Even If We Have To Work At It

While It Is Still Called Today