Jeremiah 31:20 – Favor, Even in Formation

Is Ephraim My dear son?
Is he a pleasant child?
For though I spoke against him,
I earnestly remember him still;
Therefore My heart yearns for him;
I will surely have mercy on him, says the Lord. Jeremiah 31:20, New King James Version

I was in awe of my little brother early. I knew he had a fluidity of intellect I did not possess. More daunting, he seemed free of concern over comparisons. Whatever I learned by what I felt was rigor and focus, I needed to show someone, or show up someone, in order for the prize to be complete. Brent, though, was always secure being himself.

Now, when he was nine and I was 12, he was putting those gifts into particularly adult action. Slight and blond, he was nevertheless atop a massive tractor. He was making things get. Ever the indoorsmen, I watched from afar, both in terms of physical distance and perspective. Lamenting and admiring at once, I spoke aloud that he was going to accomplish great things.

My dad, somehow trusting Brent to operate the tractor without immediate supervision, was close enough to hear me. Dad wouldn't let any incomplete idea of what one son was and the other was not Hanging in the air. "I'm sure God has great plans for you too," he said.

My dad was and is more analytical than effusive, but the affirmation has a Jeremiah 31:20 resonance 35 years later. There, the Father of fathers confronts more than speculative insecurity. He confronts a played-out history of failure and disobedience by the tribe of Ephraim. His grace brought conviction over such failures. His grace uprooted and exiled, and His grace will bring Ephraim home. Even convinced that God will finish what He started, even identifying that God was HIS God, there lingers over the human consciousness the prospect of being a project, a projection of probabilities set forward by the Great Actuary.

Any coldness of this sense on Ephraim's part, or ours, is melted by the evident affection of Jeremiah 31:20. Adjectives abound to show a state of the heart, a shining countenance beyond a cold, clinical rehabilitation plan. There is the claim of sonship, not only unearned sonship but the declaration for the ages that God takes PLEASURE in His sons and His daughters, undiminished and perhaps in some sense deepened by the corrections He brings us through.

Formal magnanimity might decline to speak of fits, and starts, and corrections, but God, Father God, actually brings them up as part of the bonding narrative. I spoke against him, but even then My thoughts toward him were flavored with favor. I liked what he was, and I saw what he was going to be. God speaks in the vernacular of vision.

It takes a certain security for God to declare yearning. He is complete in Himself. He admits no lack. There was no real brooding, no lingering regret in Ephraim's unwillingness to fulfill Him. Yet YEARNING is the translator's closest human word to what God expresses. It's the WHY in Him to which mercy is the outward expression.

Of course I am going to follow through with mercy, God insists. I've brought Ephraim this far, He might have added. I'm not going to stop now. Ephraim's surety, security, and the Christian's with him, is in God's character, not in the likelihood of our short-term efforts at reform. His mercy, Scripture says elsewhere, ABOUNDS. He won't run out. It's inextricable from Who He is, and who He is toward each tribe and each individual among His people in particular.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Enthusiasm, Even If We Have To Work At It

A Hobby Or A Habit?

While It Is Still Called Today